June 19, 2018 • Heather Murphy
Have you heard of Xylitol? In our age of low sugar and no sugar, new alternatives to sugar have popped up all over the place! As one of them, Xylitol is dangerous to dogs, I thought it was time to highlight it. Particularly when it is used as an additive. Although Xylitol is not a new product it has been recently embraced in the food sectors in NZ along with other countries and is being included in many foods. The Dangers While Xylitol is relatively safe to all other species it is highly poisonous to dogs. Canines are the...
April 20, 2018 • Heather Murphy
Sometimes we just can’t seem to pinpoint the actual reason we have an itchy dog! They might be red, rashy, itchy or balding or some dogs can just be itchy all over without displaying any further symptoms. The constant itching can drive you and your pets nuts, it’s stressful not being able to help your itchy pet. Having an itchy dog is no fun! We often think of the common allergens that can affect our dogs – things like grasses, grass seeds, wandering dew and foods. But really the list is extensive and again the problem can be exasperated when...
December 13, 2017 • Heather Murphy
Pancreatitis - what it is and what causes it. A little known fact that EVERY pet parent needs to know! Christmas is a time when we eat lots of foods and rich foods. Eating leftovers is the symbol of Boxing Day! Which are generally all-good for us humans but not so good for our pets. As it is the Christmas season, I wanted to bring to your attention the dangers of certain types of foods to our pets. This is not about the usual chocolate and grapes but something far more serious that can be fatal. Met Mia – the...
November 01, 2017 • Heather Murphy
October 09, 2017 • Heather Murphy
Spring time allergies are real - pollens, grasses - learn tips to get you and your dog itch free this spring.